Current Affairs March 2021
31st March, Current Affairs:
- Noted Marathi writer Dr SharankumarLimbale will receive Saraswati Samman, 2020 for his book Sanatan.
- Russia has registered the world’s first vaccine for animals againstCOVID-19. Mass production of the vaccine, called Carnivac-Cov, will startfrom April.
29th March, Current Affairs:
- The total number of Covid-19 cases inthe country now stands at 1.2 crore with 1,61,843 deaths recorded till nowsince the outbreak hit India in January 2020. Up to 68,020 fresh cases havebeen reported over the past 24 hours.
- External Affairs Minister S.Jaishankar arrived in Tajikistan’s capital on Monday to attend a keyconference on Afghanistan.
- India beat England by seven runs in thethird and final ODI in Pune last night to clinch the three-match series 2-1.
28th March, Current Affairs:
- The festival of colours Holi is beingcelebrated throughout the country with great pomp and enthusiasm.
- Indiawon a total of 30 medals at the ISSF World Cup. India is leading the medalstally with 13 Gold, Eight Silver and Six Bronze medals in the ISSF World CupCompetition in Delhi today. 294 athletes from 53 countries are taking partin the tournament.
- India and the U.S. today kicked off a two-day navalexercise in the eastern Indian Ocean region. The Indian Navy deployed itswarship Shivalik and long-range maritime patrol aircraft P8I in the ‘PASSEX’exercise while the U.S. Navy was represented by the USS Theodore Roseveltcarrier strike group.
- In the 66th edition of the Filmfare Awards, Irrfan Khan won a posthumous award: Best Actor – for his work in Angrezi Medium. Taapsee Pannu won the Best Actress Award for Thappad, which also bagged the Best Film, Best Story and Best Editing trophies.
27th March, Current Affairs:
- In Assam and West Bengal, polling forthe First Phase of Assembly Elections went off smoothly, today. The averagevoter turnout was registered at 72.30 per cent in Assam while it was 79.79per cent in West Bengal till 6.50 P.M.
- Five MoUs were signed betweenIndia and Bangladesh in various fields like disaster management, ICTequipment, and sports in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi andBangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in Dhaka.
- Legendary singerAsha Bhosle will be presented the Maharashtra Bhushan award for the year2020.
26th March, Current Affairs:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi reachesDhaka on historic two-day visit to Bangladesh. He has paid tribute to theMartyrs of Bangladesh liberation in Dhaka today.
- Indian DefenceMinister Rajnath Singh and South Korean Defence Minister Suh Wookinaugurated the Indo-Korean Bilateral Friendship Park in Delhi Cantt today.
- India captain Virat Kohli become the only the second batsman to cross the10,000-run mark at the number three position, after former Australia captainRicky Ponting in ODI. Virat Kohli touched the milestone during the ongoingsecond match against England in Pune at the Maharashtra Cricket AssociationStadium.
24th March, Current Affairs:
- Parliament has passed the Finance Bill,2021 with the Rajya Sabha returning it to Lok Sabha today. With this,Parliament has completed all the budgetary exercise.
- Chief Justice ofIndia Sharad A. Bobde has recommended Justice N.V. Ramana, the senior mostjudge of the Supreme Court, as the next top judge.
- Krunal Pandya hitthe fastest half-century by a debutant in ODIs in the first match againstEngland in Pune. He finished not out with 58 off 31 deliveries, hittingseven boundaries and two sixes. Also Prasidh Krishna registered best-everbowling figures on debut in ODIs for India. In the 1st India vs England ODI,the pacer returned with figures of 4/54 to guide India to a 66-run victory.
22nd March, Current Affairs:
- The Government of National CapitalTerritory of Delhi (Amendment) Bill, 2021 has been passed in the Lok Sabha.The Bill gives more powers to the Lieutenant Governor — the centre’srepresentative in Delhi as compared to the city’s elected government.
- The Parliament has passed the Insurance (Amendment) Bill, 2021 with the LokSabha approving it today.
- The Gandhi Peace Prize for the year 2020 isbeing conferred on Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
- National Awardsfor films released in the year 2019 were announced in New Delhi today.Chhichhore won Best Hindi Film. Kangana Ranaut won her fourth National Award– Best Actress for her work in the films Manikarnika and Panga. TheMalayalam-language Marakkar Arabikadalinte Simham won Best Film. TheNational Award for Best Actor was shared by Manoj Bajpayee for hisperformance in Bhonsle and Dhanush for Asuran which also won Best TamilFilm.
- World Water Day being observed today.
- Malaysia’s Lee Zii Jiawon the All England Open men’s title as he defeated Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen30-29, 20-22, 21-9 in the summit clash. Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara won the AllEngland women’s title as she defeated Pornpawee Chochuwong 21-12, 21-16 inthe finals.
20th March, Current Affairs:
- International Day of Happiness 2021 isobserved today. It was established by the United Nations General Assembly on28 June 2012.
- World Sparrow Day is celebrated today. It is celebratedevery year on 20th March to raise awareness and protect the common housesparrows.
Karnataka born Dattatreya Hosabale elected as the‘Sarkaryawah’ (General Secretary) of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
- US Defence secretary Lloyd J Austin III met his Indian counterpart RajnathSingh in New Delhi and discussed strengthening and elevating defence tiesbetween the two countries.
19th March, Current Affairs:
- For a fourth consecutive year, Finlandhas been ranked the world’s happiest country, a UN report said today.Denmark, Switzerland, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Luxembourg andNew Zealand were also among the top 10.
- American business and financialservices company Moody’s Analytics has projected India’s GDP to grow by 12%in 2021.
- Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar informed in Lok Sabhathat India’s forest cover increases to 24.56 per cent of geographical area.
17th March, Current Affairs:
- Maharashtra Director General of Police(DGP) Hemant Nagrale is appointed as the new Police Commissioner of Mumbai.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses International Conference onDisaster resilient Infrastructure through video conferencing today.
15th March, Current Affairs:
- The 63rd edition of the Grammys held inLos Angeles. Beyonce created history at the 63rd Grammy Awards as she becamethe first female artist to win 28 Grammys. She won two awards tonight – bestrap performance with Meghan Thee Stallion for Savage and best R&Bperformance for Black Parade.
- India captain Virat Kohli became thefirst batsman to make 3000 runs in men’s T20I cricket. He achieved the featin the second T20I between India and England in Ahmedabad on Sunday.
Bhavani Devi became the first-ever Indian fencer to qualify for theOlympics. She secured a spot for the Tokyo Olympics following the events atthe ongoing Fencing World Cup.
- Today is World Consumer Rights Day.
14th March, Current Affairs:
- Mumbai won the Vijay Hazare Trophy 2021after beating Uttar Pradesh by 6 wickets in the final in Delhi.
- MithaliRaj today became the first woman cricketer to score 7,000 runs in ODIsduring the fourth match against South Africa Women Team.
12th March, Current Affairs:
- U.S. President Joe Biden, Indian PrimeMinister Narendra Modi, Japanese Prime Minister Scott Morrison and JapanesePrime Minister Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga participate in a first virtualQuad summit today.
- Veteran batter Mithali Raj today became the firstIndian female cricketer and second internationally to complete 10,000 runsacross all formats.
11th March, Current Affairs:
- The festival of Maha Shivratri is beingcelebrated across the country with full religious fervour and gaiety.
- Amid an alarming spike in COVID-19 cases in Maharashtra, the stategovernment has decided to impose a lockdown in Nagpur from March 15. Thelockdown will remain in place till March 21.
- India’s ace shuttler PVSindhu settled for a silver medal in the BWF Swiss Open Super 300 at Basel,as she went down against Carolina Marin 12-21, 5-21, in the final of thewomen’s singles event.
10th March, Current Affairs:
- Tirath Singh Rawat was sworn in as thenew Chief Minister of Uttarakhand today, a day after the resignation ofTrivendra Singh Rawat.
- France launched its first military exercise inspace this week to evaluate its ability to defend its satellites and otherdefense equipment from an attack.
- India’s premier off-spinnerRavichandran Ashwin was today named the ICC men’s Player for the Month ofFebruary
- No Smoking Day is observed today. No Smoking Day is observedevery year on the second Wednesday of March.
9th March, Current Affairs:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi todayvirtually inaugurated the India-Bangladesh Friendship Bridge (Maitri Setu)over the Feni River at Sabroom in south Tripura.
- Uttarakhand ChiefMinister Trivendra Singh Rawat resigned today from his post.
- Japan hasdecided to stage this summer’s Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics withoutoverseas spectators due to concern among the Japanese public about COVID-19.
8th March, Current Affairs:
- Bajrang Punia beat Mongolia’s TulgaTumur Ochir in the final of the 65kg category to defend his title at theMatteo Pellicone Ranking Series in Rome. He reclaimed his no.1 rank withthis win.
- International Women’s Day is being observed today.
6th March, Current Affairs:
- India defeated England by an innings and25 runs in the fourth and final Test to win the four-match series 3-1 andseal a place in the final of the inaugural edition of the World TestChampionship.
- The Government has constituted a National Committeeheaded by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to commemorate 75 years of India’sIndependence.
- Six-time world champion pugilist Mary Kom has beenappointed as the Chairperson of the International Boxing Association’s(AIBA) champions and veterans committee.
4th March, Current Affairs:
- Bengaluru has been rated the mostliveable city in India in the government’s ”Ease of Living Index”. Of the49 cities ranked on livability index in the ”million-plus population”category, Delhi figures in the 13th spot and Srinagar at the bottom.According to the index released by Union Housing and Urban Affairs MinisterHardeep Singh Puri, Shimla topped the category of cities with a ”populationless than million”.
- Skipper Virat Kohli on Thursday equalled MSDhoni’s record of leading India in most Test matches. Both Kohli and Dhonihave led India in 60 Test matches.
2nd March, Current Affairs:
- Rajya Sabha TV and Lok Sabha TV havebeen merged and now it will be known as Sansad TV.
- India’s firstauction of telecom spectrum in five years ended today with ₹77,814.80 croreof airwaves being bought. Reliance Jio bought ₹57,122.65 crore worth ofspectrum while Vodafone Idea Ltd picked ₹1,993.40 crore worth of airwaves.
1st March, Current Affairs:
- The nationwide COVID-19 Vaccinationphase to cover senior citizens and people above 45 years with co-morbiditiesbegin today.
- Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat has won the gold medal inthe women’s 53-kg category at XXIV Outstanding Ukrainian Wrestlers andCoaches Memorial in Kyiv, Ukraine.
- The 78th edition of The GoldenGlobes took place today. Netflix’s historical drama The Crown bagged thehighest number of awards. The show won awards in four major categories, thisincluded Best Television Series (Drama). Emma Corrin who played a youngPrincess Diana in ‘The Crown’, was named best TV drama actress. JoshO’Connor won best TV drama actor.